March 28, 2010

Gimme cake!

No doubt you've all seen The Super Mario Kart cake



created by Beth from 'Let Them Eat Cake' in California.
(Image © M.A.L. from Flickr)


Sure, there's probably more icing than cake, but it's so cool! I've a big WANT for epic cakes. I try to make myself a fancy cake for every one of my birthdays, but there is no way I'm able to create something quite so gorgeous as the above. My last two cakes have been like this:


Strawberry layer cake with sugared rose petals and white chocolate ganache.



Hazelnut Meringue Cake with raspberries, caramel and chocolate.
(It tasted sooo much better than it looked!)


Mmmm....moist! I haven't any photographs of cakes from other previous years, unfortunately, so you'll have to take my word for it when I say I've made Nigella's Cloud Cake, and a ridiculously rich Chocolate and Guinness cake, too. With my birthday being near the end of Spring, though, I try to go for something other than chocolate, like the Strawberry Gateaux I made one year - flourless, without a mixmaster to whip my egg whites, just a Swift-Whip!

Ah cake. How I want you. How I want to be able to create you like The Super Mario Kart cake! Let me leave you with a cake song that you'll be humming for the rest of the day...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Hate it? Want it? Feel free to leave a comment...