July 08, 2010

Gift Registry

There is a store near where I live, which I absolutely love, and can spend hours browsing through. It's called MAKE, and if you like good design, groovy household products, or even just witty gimmicks, you should check it out. I even bought my schoolbag from there.

Screen grabs all from MAKE website

Anyway, I have just been browsing the site forlornly, as their mid-year sale ended on July 1st, and I didn't get to snap up a few goodies I've been coveting for years, because I bought myself new lenses for my glasses instead. Tch. Whilst there, however, I noticed that they do that wonderful thing: a gift registry! Free to create; free shipping; free gift wrapping! How grand!

It's probable I'll never have a wedding gift registry, as I seriously doubt I'll ever marry, so I'm trying to think of other reasons why I could allow myself one. Seems a bit rude to have a gift registry for a birthday or housewarming. If only they had a 'wishlist' option instead, which I would make as public as possible (Aunty Shirley? Remember me? No? Oh, well here's a wishlist I've created, and my address. Feel free to start sending me Christmas gifts).

Of course, many of the things I'd like to buy at MAKE would be gifts for other people. I'll list a few, just so you get some images.

For my cousin's 18th birthday:

A wind-up 'music ball' for my friend who bought me a cow-shaped creamer for my birthday:

This, for my friend who always takes over the task of BBQ-ing at parties:


And this for his wife with the homewares addiction:


Not to forget this for my friends' first home:


Actually, that last one is quite affordable, but I've been too afraid to buy it in case they don't like it. You know, I've bought more things from this store for friends than I have for myself. Obviously a wishlist could restore the balance? Maybe being able to list what I want, without any purchases being made, would stop my coveting? Wait, that's what this blog is for...damn.

UPDATE: Today, I crossed off two things from my imaginary wishlist. Consumer glee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Hate it? Want it? Feel free to leave a comment...