June 29, 2011

Oh! Marimekko

Ah, End of Financial Year sales! When every damn store puts things on sale, and there's a mad rush to try and nab some bargains just in case July starts, and everything becomes incredibly expensive again. You buy things you don't necessarily want, just because it's on sale, and you think it's a bargain. You end up spending more money than you would've if you were in a rational frame of mind...

Every time one of my favourite shops - MAKE - has a sale, I froth at the mouth, and try to avert my eyes. So many wonderful products that I don't need get reduced by maybe $20, and I think "BARGAIN! Must have! It's so much cheaper than it was! Now it's only $300!". Thankfully MAKE is a nice shop, and they tend to restock their items instead of going through stock madly to follow trends; this means that for the past 3 years, every sale they've had, they've discounted the same products. This is great for me when stocking up on Queen Bee candles, but it means every time they have a sale, I um and ahh as to whether I should spend a small fortune and buy myself this:


Marimekko Olkalaukku bag
Image from MAKE Designed Objects


I know it will be there for at least the next year, and probably go on sale again later this year. What stops me buying it is that I have no need for it, real or IT'S A BARGAIN I'M IN THE HEAT OF THE SALE MOMENT real. I want it though. I have another Marimekko bag, much larger, and it's good stuff. I've mistreated it muchly, and it looks the same as it did the day I bought it; it can carry really heavy loads with less hesitation than myself. I know if I bought this smaller bag, that it would last me a lifetime. I know I'd use it. But I don't need it. I have bags enough. And it's not a fashion bag, as such, and I do like frocking up...

The conundrum is, I won't know how much I would use this bag until I owned it. But even on sale, it's over $150, and I'm...stingy.

What to do? What to do? If only someone would buy it for me! That would solve all my problems. Anyone? Anyone? No? Damn. It was worth a shot.

In the meanwhile, I'm trying to buy myself a pair of knee-high, flat boots. I have been looking for a perfect pair for nearly 3 years now, and whilst the price goes up, the fashions go weird, and I never find what I want. Or if I do, it has no tread on the sole, and what is the point of a shoe with no tread? Really!

So, yes, End of Financial Year sales. You bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Hate it? Want it? Feel free to leave a comment...